Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP)
R/380/6/0031, A 9785 (04/19)
Intakes: January & April
Study Mode: Full Time
Duration: 11 Months
Examinations (CIE) A-Level
Study Mode: Full Time, Part Time or Distance Learning
Duration: 1 year
The Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) is a compulsory professional examination for foreign university law graduates to gain admission into the Malaysian Bar as a qualified advocate and solicitor.
The examination is conducted by the Legal Profession Qualifying Board and regulated by the Legal Profession Act 1976 (Act 166).
Upon successful completion of the examinations, students may proceed to do their chambering under a Master at a law firm of their choice or enter the corporate world.
The CLP curriculum allows the student to:
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the principles, rules, practices, powers and procedures that govern legal practice in Malaysia.
- Recognise the roles and responsibilities, liabilities, immunity, privileges and ethics of the Legal Profession in Malaysia.
- Gain detailed knowledge of the procedures governing the various stages of a trial, from commencing civil proceedings in the High Court and the Subordinate Courts to judgment.
- Acquire a thorough understanding of the rules, practices and procedures of criminal justice to ensure proper and efficient administration.
- Acquire a thorough understanding of all the principles of evidence and be able to apply that knowledge practically in civil and criminal proceedings.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Malaysian Land Law, Bankruptcy and Winding-up Law, Probate Law, Tort and Contract Law, and identify issues, advise on evidence, liability and procedure, as well as remedies and draft pleadings.
Intakes & Requirements
To enrol into this course, students are required to be a Malaysian citizen or a PR Holder and have a minimum of:
- 5 SPM Credits or equivalent, and
- 2 A-Level Passes / 2 STPM Principals or its equivalent, and
- A law degree recognised by the LPQB
Entry Requirements for Mature Students are:
- Minimum 3 SPM Credits or equivalent, and
- 5 years of meaningful and proven work experience.
To successfully complete this course, students are required to pass all 5 subjects, which are assessed through written examinations.
- Criminal Procedure
- Civil Procedure
- General Paper
- Professional Paper
Tuition Fee Structure:
|All Inclusive Fee|
LPQB Examination Fee Structure:
|All Inclusive Fee|
*The fees above do not include living expenses and accommodation. The examination fees apply to both local and international students. All fees are subject to change. Payments can be made by cash, cheque, credit card or instalments. Kindly enquire about the 0% Interest Payment Plans that are available.